Project SEARCH is a nine-month high school transition program that provides training and education leading to employment for individuals with disabilities. It is a collaboration between interns, families and guardians, Essentia Health, Detroit Lakes School District, Becker County and Vocational Rehabilitation Services. Interns are immersed in the workplace and participate in three internships to explore career options while learning transferable job skills. The ultimate goal upon completion of the Project SEARCH program is competitive, integrated employment.
Although Essentia Health is the host site, Project SEARCH belongs to and benefits our community. As a host site we look forward to developing the interns to become part of our community's workforce.Tanner Goodrich, Senior Vice President, Essentia Health
Applicants must meet the following requirements for consideration:
- Between 18 and 21 years of age in the last year of transition eligibility
- Qualify for special education services
- Must be able to pass drug screening and background check
- Must be up-to-date on all required immunizations and vaccines of the business site
- Must follow the masking requirements, if applicable
- Ability to take directions and change behaviors
- Independent with self-cares Have basic communication skills
- Willing to access public transportation, if needed Applied/eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation Services and County Development Disabilities Services Willing to make a commitment for competitive employment upon completion of the program.
- Inventory stocking and restocking
- Shipping and receiving
- Clean and sanitize
- Prepare areas for use
Maintenance and Facilities
- Opportunities in electrical, plumbing, HVAC installation, repair and troubleshooting.
- Completion of minor repairs
- Complete inspections and stocking supplies
- File, type and organize
- Assemble materials and stock supplies
- Assist with accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Assist in meal preparation
- Deliver and/or serve meals
- Clean and sanitize
- Assist with patient care comfort
- Set up patient rooms, other treatment rooms, stock supplies needed
Interested in participating in a Project SEARCH program? There are many ways to get involved: enrolling a young adult, helping young people gain skills needed for employment or becoming a host business site. Contact a member of the collaboration team to learn more.