Short-Call Substitute License

Have a Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) but No Teaching License?

Substitute Teacher opportunities are available for individuals who are not licensed teachers, but have completed their Bachelor’s Degree (or higher).  Following is information to assist in obtaining a short call sub license which is needed in order to substitute teach in Detroit Lakes. 

Access PELSB Account Login Page to apply for Short-Call Sub License:   PELSB Short Call Substitute License

Submission of the following will be required as part of the application process:

 All mailed materials must be submitted in one complete packet.

 1). Mailed PELSB fingerprint card. This can be requested through the PELSB online application.

 2). Processing fee (online payment) with completed conduct review (online). 

 3). Mailed completed and signed district verification form from each interested district (applicable to some applicants but not all). Form can be printed from online application.  *Note: Original must be mailed. Copied/scanned forms are not accepted.

4). Mailed official transcripts (sealed) from college/university verifying a U.S. bachelor's degree or master’s degree conferral/granted date.


PELSB Main Contact information:
Website:   PELSB Main Page 
General info phone:  651-539-4200.  
Mailing Address:
Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board
1021 Bandana Blvd. E
Suite 222
Saint Paul, MN 55108

You may submit the Detroit Lakes online application, completed substitute cover letter and payroll packet (located under "How Do I Become a Substitute") to Detroit Lakes local school district office in advance of obtaining the short call substitute license. After your short-call sub license is granted by PELSB and the required paperwork is submitted to Detroit Lakes Schools District Office, you will be notified about being added to the substitute list.  

Contact Debbie at 218-847-9271 if you have additional questions.