Medications should be given at home with parent or guardian supervision. However, if it is necessary for your child to take medication during school hours, the school district requires the following procedure to safely administer medication:

1. A written order from a licensed health care provider must be received by the school before any medication will be dispensed. Click here to print form for the licensed provider to complete. The order must include the student name, name and dosage of medication, time to be given and how long the medication needs to be given. It is also helpful to know the child's diagnosis and possible side effects of the medication.

2. Written parent or guardian consent giving school personnel permission to give the medication as prescribed by the licensed provider. Please note: medication may not necessarily be given by a licensed nurse. Only school personnel that has been trained in medication administration will be allowed to dispense medication. This may include school office staff.

 3. All medication must be brought to school in a pharmacy labeled container. The label must be current and match the prescriber medication order. Medication brought in envelopes, plastic baggies or outdated bottles will not be accepted.

4. Over the counter (non-prescription) medications will only be given with written consent from a parent or guardian. It must also be brought to school in the original labeled container. These medications will be given to the student according to the written directions on the bottle, unless other directions are provided by a licensed provider. The school district reserves the right to review the continued use of any over the counter (non-prescription) medication which has been prescribed by the parent or guardian and may require a licensed provider order for continued use of the medication.

5. In some cases, it is necessary for a student to self-carry a medication such as an epi-pen, inhaler, insulin or other emergency medications. The student will need permission by a licensed provider or parent/guardian to self-carry the medication stating they are responsible and educated on administration. Controlled substances (example: Ritalin) are not allowed to be self-administered at school.

6. When the use of a medication is no longer necessary, the parent or guardian is responsible for picking up the unused portion of the medication. Any remaining medication left at school will be disposed of by the licensed school nurse at the end of the school year.

Thank you for your help in providing safe medication administration for your child. If you have questions, please ask the health assistant at your child's school.

First page of the PDF file: SchoolMedicationAuthorizationForm